Monday, August 01, 2005

My First Post

My name is Jim. I am 25 years old, the husband of a wonderful wife, Lesa (for 2 years.) I am a seminary student at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis. I am a Lutheran who is not afraid to be one. I will be starting my vicarage year in one week. For those of you who are not familiar with the term "vicar" it is like an internship for men entering the ministry in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. The word is from the same root as vicarious, meaning "a : serving instead of someone or something else; b : that has been delegated 2 : performed or suffered by one person as a substitute for another or to the benefit or advantage of another" (http://www.merriamwebster.com). As a vicar I am placed under the authority of an ordained pastor, my bishop. Through his office I have the opportunity to preach, teach, make visits and pretty much everything else except sacraments (absolution, baptism, and consecrating the elements.)
I will be serving my vicarage under Rev. Russell Nebhut in Hamilton, Texas. It is a small town in a rural setting.
I hope to keep this up over my vicarage year and into my entrance and service in the Holy Ministry.
On this blog site I will talk about my experiences as a vicar, maybe post sermons if they are any good, and orthodox Lutheranism.
The Lord be with you!

No comments: