Sunday, January 27, 2008

Isn't it annoying when...

you realize you are one of the biggest perpetrators of your own pet peeve?

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say "That's ok" in response to an apology. I think this is especially damaging in the communion of saints. It's not "ok" when someone sins against you. It is bad, so bad that God Himself is the only one who could make it "ok." He did this through the blood of Christ Jesus. And we so casually say "That's ok."

And I do this just as much as anyone. But I am going to make a conscious effort to stop. When someone asks me to forgive them, I am going to tell them that I forgive them. I'm not going to shrug it off and just say "That's ok."

I'm sure many people will be uncomfortable by this practice. Ultimately, I don't think people really want to be forgiven. They just want to have their sins and tresspasses overlooked. God does not overlook our tresspasses, He overwhelms them with His mercy and loving-kindness and He tells us to do the same..."forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us."

No comments: