Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Maybe I'm a little over-confident...but

Ok, I know that the i's aren't all dotted and the t's aren't all crossed yet, but I feel pretty sure that I am going to get through this year, receive a call and be ordained. So, I ordered my stoles. My vicarage congregation took up a collection for a set of stoles for me as a farewell gift. They are so generous and loving! So, I got my stoles today from a terrific company in Canton, Ohio, Kanel Brothers. They have some of the best customer service I have ever experienced and very reasonable prices for custom made vestments.

So, here they are.

Advent Stole, Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! The star that guided the wise men to the Christ.

The vine that comes from the Branch of the Cross, new growth and the fruits of faith that comes from our baptism and the name of the Triune God.

The suffering and humiliation of Christ's Passion, a Lamb before the slaughter. I really like the parallel between this stole and the advent stole.

The Beginning and the End, the Holy Spirit descending in the symbol of the Trinity.

I like these two almost mirror images. The right cross is for the new-born Christ, with His Passion and Resurrection before Him, the left cross signifies His Easter Triumph over death, the devil and the grave.

Front view of the red stole.