Monday, July 03, 2006

A Patristic Quote

Pastor William Weedon enlightens all of my days with his wonderful posting of Patristic knowledge and wisdom.

I thought this one was particularly good:

'I renounce thee, Satan, thou wicked and most cruel tyrannt!' meaning, 'I fear thy might no longer; for Christ hath overthrown it, having partaken with me of flesh and blood, that through these He might by death destroy death, that I might not forever be subject to bondage. I renounce thee, thou crafty and most subtle serpent. I renounce thee, plotter as thou art, who under the guise of friendship didst work all disobedience, and bring about the apostasy of our first parents. I renounce thee, Satan, the artificer and abettor of all wickedness. - St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Mystagogical Catechesis 1:4

No comments: