Thursday, April 06, 2006

Check your ears!


One of the temptations and dangers of serving a congregation is getting caught up in praise (not of God, but of yourself.) I'm not saying this to be boastful, but I do get a lot of praise as a Vicar. The congregation likes me and likes to tell me that and I admit sometimes I get to thinking I am pretty great. I was going along with my head about the size of a football field when I turned the page of my Old Lutheran "Tidbit of the Day" Calendar. It had a quote from Luther that really brought me down to earth.

"If you are highly pleased when someone praises you in the presence of others; if perhaps you look for praise, and would sulk or quit what you are doing if you did not get it; if you are of that stripe, dear friend, then take yourself by the ears, and if you do this in the right way you will find a beautiful pair of big, long, shaggy donkey ears."

Dear Lord, You spoke truth through Balaam's ass. I pray that You would continue to use me as Your servant when I am an ass. Keep me and all of Your servants humble as we serve Your Word, that Word that was made flesh for us, that Word that was crucified for us, Jesus Christ. In His name hear all of our prayers!

Amen

No comments: